IV sedation, also known as “conscious sedation”
IV sedation, also known as “conscious sedation,” is a method of administering medication through an IV line to help patients relax during dental procedures.
This type of sedation allows patients to remain conscious and able to respond to commands, but they are in a state of deep relaxation and may not remember much of the procedure afterwards. There are several advantages of IV sedation for overcoming the fear of dental treatment.
- Anxiety relief: IV sedation can help patients relax and feel more comfortable during dental procedures. This can be especially beneficial for patients who have a fear of needles, the sound of drills, or other aspects of dental treatment.
- Pain management: IV sedation can also help to manage pain during procedures, which can make the experience more comfortable for patients.
- Comfortable experience: IV sedation can help patients feel more comfortable during a procedure, which can make it easier for them to tolerate longer or more complex procedures.
- Memory loss : Many patients under IV sedation may not remember the procedure, which can help reduce the psychological distress associated with the experience.
- Suitable for complex procedures: IV sedation can be used for a wide range of procedures, including extractions, implant placement, and even full-mouth rehabilitation.
Overall, IV sedation can be a valuable tool for patients who are anxious about dental treatment. It can help to manage pain and anxiety, making the experience more comfortable for patients and allowing them to receive the care they need.